Ainsworth Field was built in 1920 and was refurbished in 2004 for amateur use, thanks to Ed Heinrich. Heinrich was a former player in Erie who rallied to save the park from demolition. When the park was built it was known as Athletic Field. After World War II, it was renamed, Ainsworth Field. The field was named for James Ainsworth, a well-known Erie athlete and coach. The Roosevelt School is located beyond the outfield wall. In 1923, Babe Ruth played here and supposedly hit a towering home run over the smokestack on the school's roof. This park hosted the Erie Sailors until 1994.